Here are some tips to ensure your DIY sauerkraut turns out great!
- Be sure to “burp” the jar within a day to release normal pressure build-up.
- If you bought a Small batch fermentation kit (like Masontops Pickle Pipes and Pickle Pebbles), follow instructions to apply the fermentation kit.
- If not using a kit, remove lid and ring, add a weight (a river rock, small jar filled with water, or plastic bag filled with water) to keep the veggies under the brine. It’s Fine Under the Brine!
- Cover the jar with a clean dish towel or tea towel and wrap a rubber band around it (to keep flies out).
- Let it ferment on the counter at least 7 days (or up to 8 weeks). Taste it; when you like the taste and texture, remove the fermentation weight and lid (if using), add regular mason jar lid, and store in the refrigerator.
- White yeast/mold on the surface is normal. Don’t throw it out! Scoop, wipe, or scrape the mold from the surface, then stir the contents.
- The sauerkraut will keep in the fridge for up to 3 months!